UPDATES WARNING!

Discuss Engarde latest news and updates

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

UPDATES WARNING!

Postby usalabs on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:47 pm

If I'm to late I'm sorry for what's happened to peoples systems when up dating.

DO NOT AT ANY COST UPDATE YOUR ENGARDE, IT WILL CRASH AND MAKE RECOVEY OF YOUR SERVER FILES IMPOSSIBLE.

I went to the webtool and tried the update, after downloading 104 files and appliying them, my system hung for 16 hours, and now I have to tell people their files are now irretrievably destroyed.

THANK YOU ENGARDE FOR RUINING MY SYSTEM.

I will NOT be using Engarde again.
usalabs

Re: UPDATES WARNING!

Postby scrumpy on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:47 am

I did several updates within 1 hour of recieving the update email, all machines are now updated.

usalabs, do you not back up your data and do a quick snapshot before an upgrade?

I will NOT be using Engarde again.

Did you not say that before, after typing an amount of disinformation about EnGardes capabilities?

When you come on to a secure operting system forum where people are using the macines and talk rubbish you are going to have some problems.

The others are very kind and considerate people who have tried to help you but you keep posting negative (and often very wrong) unqualified quesswork which looks more like an attempt to damage EnGarde Linux's reputation.

Not much else to say.
scrumpy

Postby usalabs on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:46 pm

scrumpy wrote:usalabs, do you not back up your data and do a quick snapshot before an upgrade?

"backup"? what backup, the only so called "backup", is what's provided with Engarde, and that only backs up to the same drive as the system, so if the system fails so do the backups, this has been discussed previously, there is NO in built backup that will backup to another drive or network, unless amanda is installed, but then again, amanda is NOT an integral part of Engardes backup system, so when you say 'do I do backups' yes I do, but a waste of time, when the backups are stored on the same drive as the system. "Snapshot"? again there is NO function of Engarde that takes "snapshots", show me somewhere in the webtool that has an option for "backing up to another drive or network, or taking a snapshot", I think you see there isn't one"
Not much else to say.

There's plenty to say but not enough time.
usalabs

ERROR: UPDATES SWARMING!

Postby scrumpy on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:07 pm

mmm,

Code: Select all
tar cvzf home.tgz home

scrumpy

Re: ERROR: UPDATES SWARMING!

Postby usalabs on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 pm

scrumpy wrote:mmm,

Code: Select all
tar cvzf home.tgz home

Ok, so you've created a tarball, where are you going to store it? On the same drive as the OS? ROFL.

Engarde doesn't scan for hardware changes, ie, adding an extra drive, neither does it backup to a network drive, so what's the point of running a server on 'ONE' drive with no possibility of backing up files such as the mysql, dns, mail, or home files to an external destination, in fact there's not even an option to take a mirror image of the entire drive and store it on a second or network drive.

Windows server 2003, (on the other hand, which I'm now using) does have the option to backup the entire drive, either to a tape drive, second hard drive, or network drive, can you say that about Engarde? I think not.
usalabs

Postby BlueOcean on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:08 am

I've had problems with the update process, too.

First, I tried to upgrade via the webtool admin, but it hung after installing a few packages. I rebooted into single user mode and began the update process from the command line with 'apt-get -y -u dist-upgrade'. Once again, after installing a package or two, the process would hang until I killed it and it's subprocesses. There are no error messages as to why it the upgrade hangs and it doesn't hang on a specific package.

Luckily I am trying this upgrade on a virtualized install of Engarde before upgrading the production servers. Is there anything I can try to get more information about where this process is failing?
BlueOcean

Postby scrumpy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:12 pm

Please submit a bug report with as much info as possible.

http://bugs.engardelinux.org/

Hopefully one of the others will be able to provide some more information about this, as it is obviously a BIG problem.

ryan?

how to get round this and make sure the appropriate files are updated with dependancies, and how to get around partialy installed/downloaded files for install?

~S
scrumpy

Postby Diesel on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:01 pm

i also had problems while upgrading. i found out why my upgrade failed:
by accident i had 2 different versions of a rpm package installed. that was why apt-get failed. i tried to fix the rpm database to have only one version of that package but some files were locked. so i tried to reboot the system which should have hopefully unlocked those files, but then i had a kernel panic. semed like the kernel was already replaced while maybe initrd or lilo.conf (because i have a kernel that doesn't need initrd) wasn't.
i would have could fix it manually, but i decided to completely reinstall and use my backups and saves i made bevor every upgrade.

maybe that helps to find out what goes wrong.

cheers
sid
Diesel

Postby Veritas on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:47 am

I too had problems updating, But I also added a lot of extra stuff to my install so it was no where near the state of the ISO that you download...I reinstalled. Things are running good now, I just turn off whatever im not using...
Veritas

Return to General Discussion