Step by step instructions on webhosting

Discuss Engarde latest news and updates

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Step by step instructions on webhosting

Postby evreniadis on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:39 am

As I am new to Linux and EnGarde, I would like to get some info as to what is needed in order to host web sites on my EnGarde box.
I have a DSL line with static IP. My DSL router always gets tha same IP from my provider.
Do I need to set my DSL router in bridge mode, connect my Engarde box on that side of the net with a switch connected between the DSL router(in bridge mode) the Linux box, and another ethernet to ethernet router to provide access to my local LAN? Can EnGarde become a router if I install another ethernet card?

Also what about the DNS service? Do I have to set-up a DNS service on my EnGarde box? What should I pay attention to? How about virtual hosting and virtual servers? Can I host multiple sites on a single EnGarde server?

Thank you in advance, and sorry about these many questions !!
evreniadis

Re: Step by step instructions on webhosting

Postby scrumpy on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:35 am

Hi evreniadis,

Unfortunately I am not familiar with your hardware so cannot answer all what you are asking... Someone else maybe?

However,

How about virtual hosting and virtual servers? Can I host multiple sites on a single EnGarde server?

Yes.

~S
scrumpy

Re: Step by step instructions on webhosting

Postby wkeys on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:30 pm

hi
You should only have to plug in your web server to your DSL router and set the gateway to the ip address of router. Also set the static IP address that your IPS is providing for you to your Web server. One thing to think about then trying to setup a Web server is to make sure that your ISP don't block port 80 if you want to make your site available to the public.

EnGarde is fully capable of doing virtual hosting it's can be easily setup in the WebTool. You don't need to have a DNS server to run a Website. You would have to register an domain name for your Web server.

Bests,
~Bill
wkeys

Return to General Discussion