Webcam Server

Discuss Engarde latest news and updates

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Webcam Server

Postby mattfman on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:22 am

Hi,

As a class project for my group in computer science, we are going to be running a webcam server. We chose Engarde Linux as the OS that we would like to use being that it is so secure. What recommendations or tutorials would you have for such an endeavor? (EX; cheap linux driver support cams, what software to use to run it, etc)

Thanks,

Matthew
mattfman

Re: Webcam Server

Postby ryan on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:44 pm

mattfman wrote:As a class project for my group in computer science, we are going to be running a webcam server. We chose Engarde Linux as the OS that we would like to use being that it is so secure. What recommendations or tutorials would you have for such an endeavor? (EX; cheap linux driver support cams, what software to use to run it, etc)

I don't think you'll have much success with this. EnGarde Secure Linux is designed to be a server; webcams are more desktop-centric, so they're not supported (in userspace nor the kernel) at all.

In order to get it working you'd have to roll your own kernel, build your own userspace packages, and write some selinux policy to boot.
ryan
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion