Additional Activition Codes?

Discuss Engarde latest news and updates

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Additional Activition Codes?

Postby epretorious on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi:

When I read the page "What is the GDSN?" I must have read too much into the phrase...

If you have not previously received an Activation code...

...because I assumed that this meant that the activation code was re-usable (i.e., I assumed that, because I already received an activation code, I could re-use that same code used on multiple systems). But the activation code is not re-usable so now I'm scratching my head, wondering "How can I get another activation code?" :?:
epretorious

Re: Additional Activition Codes?

Postby epretorious on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Is there a limit to the number of EnGarde Linux systems that one can register? :?:
epretorious

Postby epretorious on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:17 pm

How many systems can be registered using one account? :?:
epretorious

Postby epretorious on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:48 pm

epretorious wrote:...I must have read too much into the phrase...

If you have not previously received an Activation code...

...because I assumed that this meant that the activation code was re-usable (i.e., I assumed that, because I already received an activation code, I could re-use that same code used on multiple systems).

Ah-ha - I knew that the activation code was reusable (and, therefore, I hadn't read too much into the statement above)! From Section 5.1 of The Quickstart Guide:

5.1. Guardian Digital Secure Network Configuration

The Guardian Digital Secure Network is the primary means for obtaining free system and security software updates for
your EnGarde Secure Linux server. If you have an Activation Code (from a previous installation), enter it in the fields below.

What I didn't remember was Section 5.1.1 of The Quickstart Guide:

5.1.1. Activation Code and Password

If you already have an Activation Code then enter it in this box. Please note that if you are re-installing EnGarde Secure
Linux you need to reset your machine secret.

I did note that there aren't any instructions about how to "reset your machine secret" but - more importantly - the question of the maximum number of license codes isn't addressed directly or indirectly. Why is this?
epretorious

Postby ryan on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:37 am

You are permitted to one Activation Code. If you need more then contact us and we can discuss it, but if you're the target user of EnGarde Community (a home user or security enthusiast/hobbyist), one activation code should be enough.
ryan
Site Admin

Postby epretorious on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:38 pm

ryan wrote:You are permitted to one Activation Code. If you need more then contact us and we can discuss it, but if you're the target user of EnGarde Community (a home user or security enthusiast/hobbyist), one activation code should be enough.

NP, Ryan. Thanks for answering my question. (FWIW: I have a handful of [personal] systems that I administer. If I could purchase additional GDSN subscriptions for these systems [the same way that RedHat used to sell annual subscriptions for RHN for approx. $35/year] that would be attractive to smaller users.)
epretorious

Return to General Discussion