Network Monitoring

Discuss Engarde latest news and updates

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Network Monitoring

Postby anm on Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:04 pm

Hi,
I am not sure if I read something like this on engarde. I am a newbie and posting messages like anything. So feel free to remove some of them if they are too silly :? I am just trying to put together a linux/ windows mixed environment, completely controlled by linux servers (my posts on directory server etc)

Do we already have something like http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/509 built into engarde?
That sounds like a cool feature for an enterprise to monitor any connections made on the network.
Is firewall/ gateway the best place to put it? If there are mutiple switches, uplinking to a central small switch (daisy chained?) - that connects to the firewall - would it work if someone connected to the network two switched behind - and did not make any request that qualifies to pass through the gateway?

regards
anm

RE: Network Monitoring

Postby eric on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:20 pm

anm,

EnGarde has available (through the GDSN package management system), some of those tools such as Naigos, nmap, apache, MySQL, iptables, and syslog-ng. However, there is no such WebTool interface and we do not have X-Windows available.

In my opinion, the best place to put it would be on the inside not visible by the gateway/fw (but can still see the gateway/fw). You want to know what you have and how its doing, but you don't want other's to know what you have.

Eric
eric
Site Admin

Postby anm on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:04 pm

Thanks Eric. Your point definitely makes sense. However I might like to keep track of the orange zone as well. I am working on IPCop these days and I am using blue zone as well - blue not as wireless, but more restrictive zone compared to green. Not sure where to place this device to track all zone. However, I plan to keep IPCop behind NAT firewall for now.
anm

Postby hertpole on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:59 am

Do we already have something like http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/509 built into engarde?
Thanks for the link it is very useful information for me
hertpole

Return to General Discussion