Network configuration

Discuss installation issues/solutions for Engarde

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Network configuration

Postby ericf64 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:04 am

Hi,

Installation and network configuration of EnGarde 3.0.18 is made on my PC but starting Shorewall, I lose my LAN and my Internet connections.
- My Shorewall configuration is the one described in Guardian Digital WebTool Firewall HOWTO, so I don't understand what is wrong.
- When Itry to access to DHCP module, the module is not installed (I've installed dhcpd package) so what module or package is to add? in which menu is it?
- question for software RAID 5 : if I want to use it as NAS, is the best configuration :
- EnGarde on my separate 80 Go IDE disk, then /home on RAID 5
or
- EnGarde on a RAID 5 /dev/md0, no use of the IDE disk

Thank you for your help ! I know that it takes time to explain to newbies...

Regards,

Eric

Hardware : Athlon 64 - 1 Go RAM - 4 x 500 Go SATA + 1 x 80 Go IDE. Eth0 : static, to the Internet. Eth1 : static, to a hub to the LAN.
ericf64

Re: Network configuration

Postby wkeys on Fri May 02, 2008 12:51 pm

hi

Installation and network configuration of EnGarde 3.0.18 is made on my PC but starting Shorewall, I lose my LAN and my Internet connections.

Make sure that you allow access to your networks gateway.

- When Itry to access to DHCP module, the module is not installed (I've installed dhcpd package) so what module or package is to add? in which menu is it?

YOu can install DHCP by going to System-> GDSN -> Management

- question for software RAID 5 : if I want to use it as NAS, is the best configuration :
I find RAID 5 to be fast enough for any configuation.

Bests,
Bill
wkeys

Re: Network configuration

Postby jones on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:31 am

I have a similar problem and was wondering if anybody can see my mistake. I have a single interface on my EnGarde box. I followed the webtool firewall howto. The tutorial didn't cover setting up two networks (10.0... and 192.168..) on a single interface so I assumed eth1 should be a normal interface rather than a virtual interface. I then changed /etc/shorewall/interfaces, removing the word "detect" after eth1. The error returned on /sbin/shorewall start was:

(everything compiles OK)
setting up Masquerading/SNAT...
ERROR: Unable to determine the routes through the interface "eth1"

I changed my /etc/shorewall/masq to "eth0 eth1 192.168.1.106", which didn't help. This is probably an easy fix; does anyone have insight into this? thanks, jones
jones

Return to Installation