How to install VMware Tools on Engarde

Discuss installation issues/solutions for Engarde

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

How to install VMware Tools on Engarde

Postby EvdBoogaard on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi there,

If you're looking for a guide how to install VMware Tools on Engarde Secure Linux, than you're reading the right page :)

First of all: I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Linux, BUT I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.
Today I've managed to build new VMware Tools drivers for Debian within half an hour (thanks to a few well documented steps that I found), but I was a little out of luck when it came to building VMware Tools for Engarde...
To be honest: I was about to lose my mind, as I've been trying to build VMware Tools from scratch for the last 3 days - almost full time! :cry:
Anyway I succeeded and present you here the steps. (To the gurus: please feel free to comment and improve this walk-thru)

Step 1: in Engarde webtool pick System --> 'SELinux Control Console' and click 'Toggle Current Mode ' and click 'Yes, disable Enforcing Mode'

Step 2: Thanks to trial and error I found out that I had to install a few packages.
- In the Engarde webtool go to: "Guardian Digital Secure Network", click module "package management",
- select: kernel-source, gcc and make (automagically kernel-header and binutils are installed)
- click install selected packages (wait until it's finished - should be less than 5 minutes)

Step 3: Go to VMware (in my case VMware Infrastructure Client), right-click on your Engarde VM and select 'Install/Upgrade VMware Tools ' (what this does is select an iso what later will be mounted)

Step 4: Open an Engarde console (NOT Putty, because you will be disconnected when you run the installation script - You can use Putty for the first few steps, you'll get a reminder to use the console when you want to run it from Putty)
login as root/sysadm_r and create a new file: /usr/src/linux-2.6.27linux/include/utsrelease.h (with vi or nano)
enter the following as a new line on top (including the #)
Code: Select all
#define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.27-1"
save and exit.

Now, enter the following commands:
# cd /usr/include
# ln -sf ../src/linux/include/asm-generic .
# ln -sf ../src/linux/include/asm-x86 asm
# cd /usr/src/linux
# cp configs/kernel-config-2.6-i686-gd-24.config .config
# make oldconfig && make prepare
# make scripts
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt

Check the next command to use the correct filename!!! (VMware-linux-tools.tar.gz or something alike)
#cp /mnt/VMware-linux-tools.tar.gz /tmp

# umount /dev/cdrom
# cd /tmp
# tar zxf vmware-linux-tools.tar.gz
# cd vmware-tools-distrib
# ./vmware-install.pl

The the installer starts and you keep pressing [enter] until You're asked if you want to run vmware-config-tools.pl --> pick yes.

Next question is if you want to have the installer find GCC, just hit [enter]
Ok, now here's a tricky part: the installer asks for the path to the C headers and shows as default: /usr/src/linux/include
But in my case that default value (with the symlink) did not work, so instead type:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.27/include
and hit enter.
If everything turns out OK, you should see some messages flashing by that the drivers(s) has been succesfully loaded into the kernel.

Last but not least: the installer ends with the instructions to restart the network, enter them too:
# /etc/init.d/network stop
# rmmod pcnet32
# rmmod vmxnet
# depmod -a
# modprobe vmxnet
# /etc/init.d/network start

When you now look at the VMware summary of the Engarde VM, you should see VMware Tools: OK and you should be able to access the webtool again.

These steps worked for me - I'm using VMware ESXi 3.5, but I suspect they work on any VMware that has Engarde as guest.
I hope it works for you too.

Enjoy!
Erwin

P.S. Question for the guru's: How can I uninstall the packages like gcc and header-source now that I no longer need them? Is it better (from a security perspective) to remove them or is it ok to leave it as is?
EvdBoogaard

Re: How to install VMware Tools on Engarde

Postby joseb2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:47 pm

I am not a guru, actually a newbee, but you may try in command line the 'apt-get' command, something like:

# apt-get -D remove [package-name]

The option '-D' is to remove dependencies as well (when possible)
Try:
# apt-get --help to see more options.

Cheers,
Jose L
joseb2010

Return to Installation