No driver for Realtek onboard NIC (model RTL8111-GR)

Discuss installation issues/solutions for Engarde

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

No driver for Realtek onboard NIC (model RTL8111-GR)

Postby internetworks on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:14 am

Hello,

We are trying to install Engarde on a dedicated server to which we have access for installation through KVM over IP.

The hosting company tried to install Engarde for us and they encountered the following problem:

"
As you said, the installation was very straight-forward. We did run into one problem:
Engarde had no driver support for the Realtek onboard NIC (model RTL8111-GR, on an Intel DG31PR motherboard).
Moreover, it did not load any type of USB support, so we could not connect an external USB network adapter (also a Realtek chipset, but a different series).

We have spent most of the night looking into this issue, making no headway and finding almost nothing on the Internet regarding Engarde with USB support or this Realtek chipset.

"

Any ideas on how to handle this issue?

Thank you.
internetworks

Re: No driver for Realtek onboard NIC (model RTL8111-GR)

Postby internetworks on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Hello,

I think the r1000 module can fix this problem. Is it available with Engarde? Does it interfere with the security enhancements that are found in Engarde?

Thanks.
internetworks

Postby internetworks on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Hello,

Ok. I have found a driver that might work. I hope so. However a need to compile a new kernel?

I have no internet connection on the server however I can write the required files on a CD, mount it and start working.

Where do I get the make for Engarde? What other programs do I need to compile a new kernel on Engarde?

I have found a driver that might work with the Realtek onboard NIC, RTL8111-GR, here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

Hope I get an answer.
internetworks

Postby Thundar on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 am

Hi, Just posting this in the hope that it will helps someone.
I also had an issue with the network drivers for my Realtek RTL8111C-GR (Supermicro Atom 330 Board). The installer basically says " a network card was detected but was not configured at this time". From reading posts on this forum and others, I realized that I needed to point the card(s) at the correct module to be successful. I did not know which module to use so I installed Ubuntu 10.04 server and noted the module it used for my cards (r8169).
After reinstalling Engarde, I updated the /etc/modules.conf file to include "alias eth0 r8169" (pointing the module at the card / chip), I also added "alias eth1 r8169" for the other NIC. Obviously, the quotes "" are not to be placed in the config file, just included to separate the command from the explanation.
Then I manually set the IP addresses in /etc/network/interfaces (you will prob have a lo interface already listed here, just place the text under it on new lines);

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.111
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.112
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

Save and close file (address values should be substituted with your values).

Then run " # /etc/init.d/network restart " to have the new settings initialized.

You can use "# lsmod" to see the loaded modules and how many devices are using the loaded modules. Notice that there are also subgroups listed which use the main modules. For instance the lsmod command shows 0 devices using the r8169 module but mii, bitrev and crc32 using the r8169 module (each showing one device) (I only have one network card plugged in).

" # ifconfig -a " will show the interfaces available to the system. If no devices are using your loaded module and your interfaces do not show in ifconfig (other than lo), you may not have chosen the correct module for your network card. You could try to load up another linux OS (i.e. Ubuntu Server) and see what module it uses for your card or I am sure there is a better way. I am still learning. I apologize for the basic level of explanation but hope it is helpful to another stumped person. Engarde is a pleasure to use and perhaps worth a little extra setup elbow grease.
Thundar

Return to Installation