Installation issues - password, network, disk integrity

Discuss installation issues/solutions for Engarde

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Installation issues - password, network, disk integrity

Postby zman97211 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Good evening,

I downloaded and installed community 3.0.22 and had some issues with the installation onto a Sun Virtualbox virtual machine, using one of my hard drives as a raw vmdk. Fedora and Windows XP work in Virtualbox without problems.

First, the password I entered as the default root password and admin password for the WebAdmin tool do not take effect. I am unable to login as root after the installation is complete.

Second, I configured my network adapter during the initial boot to use DHCP, and when the installation got to the point of setting up my network adapters, the text said I could select DHCP on the following screens, however, I was forced to use a static IP.

Third, I entered my hostname (a FQDN), but on initial boot, "Setting hostname to localhost".

Fourth, on first boot my drives were checked for integrity and reported that a fix was made requiring a reboot.

Fifth, SELinux needed to relabel my filesystems, which I thought was done upon installation when it told me it was "Labelling filesystems".

There is not very much documentation on the installation process from what I could tell from a quick search, a look on the web site (under documentation), and a quick look at the wiki. In fact, the Quick Start guide skipped right over that and onto the configuration.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.
zman97211

Re: Installation issues - password, network, disk integrity

Postby zman97211 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:37 pm

I suppose I will research and select another distribution due to the lack of response to the issues I have with this one.

Regards,
Steve
zman97211

Postby Dave on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:15 pm

zman97211 wrote:I suppose I will research and select another distribution due to the lack of response to the issues I have with this one.

Regards,
Steve

Sorry no one could help. I just noticed this post. It sure sounds like you've got a few problems there. We'd be very interested in hearing more. The installation is pretty straightforward, but perhaps some additional docs might help.

Best regards,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby shakeshuck on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:23 am

I can relate to this guy's problems, and some of the others in this forum!

I'm doing a straight hardware install, not VirtualBox.

First, the password I entered as the default root password and admin password for the WebAdmin tool do not take effect.

I think this only applies to the LiveCD logins? The install root password quoted elsewhere in the forum is lockbox. I'll be trying that next to see what the installer did!

Second, I configured my network adapter during the initial boot to use DHCP

I haven't done this as I know it won't work for me; I'm on cable and need a specific mac address when requesting a lease. There's nowhere in the install I can do this, so I'm trying to set up a separate subnet either side of EnGarde just to get into the web interface. But that's another story...

Fourth, on first boot my drives were checked for integrity and reported that a fix was made requiring a reboot.
Fifth, SELinux needed to relabel my filesystems

Yup, me too. After each fresh install.

I also found the 'select default gateway' (nic) ambiguous, in fact I selected the wrong one for the first install; I interpreted it to mean the nic pointing at the external gateway, not the incoming nic from the lan.

Then we're back to the web gui. I can sign on, but that's as far as I get. I can't create an account because I can't see past the Engarde box to the internet (which I can't change the settings of because I can't get to the GUI... but as I've found the install root password (as above) I can now have a look at what's going on).
No doubt it's a config issue on my part. The one thing that threw me was that I was forced to input a gateway for the lan-side nic. I have no idea what I'm supposed to put in there. None of the other firewall products I've played with so far have asked that, and they've all worked...?!

I'll post more as I get wiser...
shakeshuck

Postby shakeshuck on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:21 am

I also found the 'select default gateway' (nic) ambiguous, in fact I selected the wrong one for the first install; I interpreted it to mean the nic pointing at the external gateway, not the incoming nic from the lan.

OK, this is confusing... after logging in as root and checking the routing, I discovered that my initial interpretation was right; the default nic should be the one to the external gateway. In that case, why does the info screen tell you to connect to the web interface using the external nic, not the lan nic? Doesn't make sense to me. :?:

Then we're back to the web gui. I can sign on, but that's as far as I get.

I had to change the kernel forwarding parameter as per another post. The routing fixed, I discovered another reason for my lack of access to GDSN: My home router only allows for a /24 network and wasn't passing packets back to the new subnet. Adding a static route back to the management PC fixed this.

But all that being done, there's still no method of setting up the EnGarde box as my gateway (with mac address) via the GUI! Oh well.
shakeshuck

Return to Installation