registration problems with content filter

Discuss installation issues/solutions for Engarde

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

registration problems with content filter

Postby 2GMario on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:48 am

So, wanted to try this, but I am having some difficulty

I got the os to install in vmware workstation - got into the webtools and everything was cool

tried going through the registration process and this is where i have problems

the registration process obviously tries to connect to a server to complete - the problem is, to access the internet, for anything, i must first login to our gateway firewall.

without xwindows or any browser, i cannot authenticate a session on the server to open the firewall, making the registration process fail

any ideas?

-Mario
2GMario

Re: registration problems with content filter

Postby Dave on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 pm

2GMario wrote:So, wanted to try this, but I am having some difficulty

I got the os to install in vmware workstation - got into the webtools and everything was cool

tried going through the registration process and this is where i have problems

the registration process obviously tries to connect to a server to complete - the problem is, to access the internet, for anything, i must first login to our gateway firewall.

without xwindows or any browser, i cannot authenticate a session on the server to open the firewall, making the registration process fail

any ideas?

-Mario

If you had a text-based browser, such as lynx, would you be able to connect? If not, I'm not sure there's much you're going to be able to do. Without direct access to the Internet, what purpose is the server going to provide, anyway?

Regards,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Re: registration problems with content filter

Postby 2GMario on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:06 am

The server has direct access to the internet - the problem comes in, to send the registration info to your servers, you must login to the firewall first. then, the registration information can be sent and the response received.

I can't imagine you haven't run into these problems yet. On my existing production server, I have to login to the firewall prior to running updates. Incoming connections are fine because the firewall allows for inbound 443 traffic.

And, why would the server be of no use without a direct connection to the internet? What about attacks from the internal network? Just because someone works for you, or has a pc on your network, doesn't mean they should be trusted.

All of this security / checks and balances stem from PCI and penetration testing. Surely a distro such as this would be used in those situations.

?

I understand the need to protect intellectual property and the need for people to register a product - I am a developer, but the installation process for this distro has been very difficult.

-Mario
2GMario

Return to Installation