Getting Activation code

Discuss general troubleshooting concerns.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Getting Activation code

Postby Mr.O on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 am

Hi, I am new to this operating system. I want to get an activation code and I think that the firewall that my ISP uses prevents me from registering from the servers websites. Is there a way for me to get an alternative?

Thanks in advance!
Mr. O
Mr.O

Re: Getting Activation code

Postby ryan on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:12 pm

GDSN is just https, so if your ISP is blocking https then they are blocking everything.
ryan
Site Admin

Postby Mr.O on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:22 pm

That is not the problem. I am running a private network and need to get an activation code by another way. This is the current network hierarchy. Isp, Router, server. On the same level as the server is the computer that I am connecting to the server. Therefore there would not be the problem with the isp blocking the https because the connection is being routed in network, not over the isp internet lines. The isp will not repeat not block a https connection because it is very necessary to the network as a whole. All I am asking is if there is an alternate way to register.

Mr. O
Mr.O

Postby ryan on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 am

There is no other method to register. Given the network setup you described I see no reason why the freshly installed EnGarde would not be able to contact updates.guardiandigital.com on port 443, assuming you properly configured networking on the newly installed machine (with a valid DNS server and default gateway).
ryan
Site Admin

Postby miracle on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:52 am

similar problem here.
I just installed EnGarde on VMWare Server. Then

1. successfully connected to the WebTool
2. clicked "Create GDSN Account"
3. and filled in the registration form

But I got an error saying "We're sorry but an error occured while trying to create a GDSN account, Please try again later and contact Guardian Digital if you have any further trouble."

I've tried many times already in 5 hours .....
miracle

Postby ongaqjin on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:09 pm

I've got the exact same problem. I think I've seen in another post, that nameserver configuration might be incorrect and that it should be set to my router IP.
Well in my case it IS set to my router IP, I can also ping that IP while being logged in to engarde on the server, I've been using that router all the time with my win pc. When I login to my root account on engarde, I'm able to ping google's IP, but not google.com host, which tells me that the nameserver might actually be configured badly. But if the nameserver should not be set up to my router IP, what should it be then? That issue doesn't allow me to finish initial configuration. Can anyone help?
ongaqjin

Postby Dave on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:07 pm

ongaqjin wrote:I've got the exact same problem. I think I've seen in another post, that nameserver configuration might be incorrect and that it should be set to my router IP.
Well in my case it IS set to my router IP, I can also ping that IP while being logged in to engarde on the server, I've been using that router all the time with my win pc. When I login to my root account on engarde, I'm able to ping google's IP, but not google.com host, which tells me that the nameserver might actually be configured badly. But if the nameserver should not be set up to my router IP, what should it be then? That issue doesn't allow me to finish initial configuration. Can anyone help?
It should be set to what you expect to use for your nameserver. If you don't intend on configuring one on the server itself, what would you otherwise use for name services? What have you been using on other hosts on that network?

What type of router do you have? Does it provide DNS services?

If you haven't previously used a nameserver, and the one on your router doesn't work, how about trying one of the public DNS services, like OpenDNS or Google (8.8.4.4) should work.

Best,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby leihog on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Your nameserver setting should not be the same as your routers ip, unless your router is also acting as a dns relay.
Are we talking about a home/small office router here or a server hotel? If it's a home/small office router on a broadband connection with dhcp, you can login to your router and take a look at the WAN status/overview page to get the proper dns settings. If not then you should have recieved the proper settings from your broadband service / server host.

Since you knew the ip for google I assume that you have another computer on the network with an internet connection. You can easily get the proper nameserver ip's from that computer. google it to find the ip settings for your particular OS.

If all else fails, enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your nameserver ip's. It's googles public DNS servers.

Let us know if it works for you.

// Leif
leihog

Postby miracle on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 am

In my case, the EnGarde guest is using NAT (bridge mode access in VMWare Server) and the gateway and DNS (DNS Relay at router) is pointed to our router.
I've mapped a real IP address for the EnGarde as well. I can access to the WebTool at home (both IP and domain name working fine).

Do I need to change the DNS entry to the one provided by our ISP instead ? But how can I change it ? When I try to login directly in EnGarde, it said my login is incorrect, I believed it won't allow to login as root/admin before completing the configuration with WebTool ......
miracle

Postby miracle on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 am

As I'm quite urgent to build up a linux server, so I gave up to wait for the solution and decided to give ClearOS a try.

Anyway, as I do really want to use EnGarde, may be I'll try it again few weeks later.

Thanks guy!
miracle
miracle

Postby miracle on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:50 am

Just tried to install EnGarde on another PC (not under Virtual Machine), the first time I filled in the Router IP address (DNS Relay) during installation, and got the same error while obtaining the activation code. Then I have it reinstalled all over again and use the ISP's DNS, bravo, it works this time.

I don't know why, but it works now.

A silly question, how to upload webpages to the Apache ? I have created virtual domain on the httpd already.

I also want to setup an Email Server with IMAP and Web Mail, is it easy to do that on EnGarde ?

miracle
miracle

Postby leihog on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 pm

A silly question, how to upload webpages to the Apache ? I have created virtual domain on the httpd already.

I wrote a tutorial about this a while back here
http://www.gomiworld.net/articles/insta ... ure-linux/
leihog

Postby miracle on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks a lot!

But I cannot get ssh connect to the EnGarde, it said the network connection is dropped.
I have followed all the steps you've mentioned in the tutorial.

Any idea ?
miracle

Postby leihog on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:34 pm

In the admin tool
1) make sure ssh is enabled "services/service configuration"
2) make sure the user you are trying to login as is allowed to "services/secure shell management"
3) if firewall is enabled, make sure incoming connections are allowed to ssh "system/firewall configuration" add allow all to port 22
4) make sure incoming ssh connections are allowed in "system/access control" Add your ip or ALL under sshd.

That should do it.
If it still doesn't work then go to "auditing/logging" or /auditing/selinux" and see if any of the log messages give a reason why.

You are welcome :)
leihog

Postby Dave on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:21 pm

leihog, great article on installing a web application on EnGarde, thanks!

Best,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Troubleshooting