Python, Zope and Plone Installation

Discuss general troubleshooting concerns.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Python, Zope and Plone Installation

Postby joseb2010 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 pm

I tried to install Plone 3.3.5. To do so, Plone requires Python 2.4.6, so I went into installing it, but installation always fails. in the following screen you can look at the error:

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Last edited by joseb2010 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joseb2010

Re: Python, Zope and Plone Installation

Postby joseb2010 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi there,

Of course the easiest way to solve the problem would be that Engarde itself could update to Python 2.4.6, or at least 2.4.2 (the minimum version required by Zope and Plone 3.3.5), using the GDSN... :roll:

Actually, Has someone succesfully installed Zope and Plone already?

Anybody?

Jose Luis
joseb2010

Postby Dave on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 am

joseb2010 wrote:I tried to install Plone 3.3.5. To do so, Plone requires Python 2.4.6, so I went into installing it, but installation always fails. in the following screen you can look at the error:

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
This is because there is a broken symlink in /usr/include on your system, so it doesn't know where to find the asm includes. You should see this:

# ls -l asm*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 33 Feb 12 22:48 asm -> ../src/linux/arch/x86/include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 32 Feb 12 15:56 asm-generic -> ../src/linux/include/asm-generic

If you don't, and assuming you have the kernel-source and kernel-headers packages installed, and the development tools to go with them, you should be able to do:

# cd /usr/include
# ln -sf ../src/linux/arch/x86/include/asm asm
# ln -sf ../src/linux/include/asm-generic asm-generic

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:06 am

joseb2010 wrote:Hi there,

Of course the easiest way to solve the problem would be that Engarde itself could update to Python 2.4.6, or at least 2.4.2 (the minimum version required by Zope and Plone 3.3.5), using the GDSN... :roll:

Actually, Has someone succesfully installed Zope and Plone already?
I believe these python packages that I've built should work for you:

http://ftp.engardelinux.org/pub/engarde ... 4.i686.rpm
http://ftp.engardelinux.org/pub/engarde ... 7.i686.rpm

I'm having a problem with the x86_64 version right now, so hopefully these work for you for the time being.

Please let me know how they work for you. I'd be very interested in your feedback and information for
everyone on how to install python with zope and plone on EnGarde.

Thanks for using EnGarde.

Best regards,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby joseb2010 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Dave,

I tried to create the missing links, but had problem with one of them. There is not 'include' directory under the 'x86' directory. (to create the link to '../src/linux/arch/x86/include/asm'). I do have kernel-source and kernel-headers installed. I am using a x86 system, Intel dual core.

Searching for asm...

And can't use the RPM packages. Plone 3.3.5 requires Python 2.4, but 2.4.2 or later, but doesn't work with 2.5 or later.

Thanks,

Jose L
joseb2010

Postby Dave on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:26 pm

joseb2010 wrote:Dave,

I tried to create the missing links, but had problem with one of them. There is not 'include' directory under the 'x86' directory. (to create the link to '../src/linux/arch/x86/include/asm'). I do have kernel-source and kernel-headers installed. I am using a x86 system, Intel dual core.

If you don't have the include directory then it sounds like you need to run "make defconfig" in /usr/src/linux to prepare the kernel so it sets up the symlinks. You should have these links:

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 33 Feb 12 22:48 asm -> ../src/linux/arch/x86/include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 32 Feb 12 15:56 asm-generic -> ../src/linux/include/asm-generic

If the paths don't exist, it's likely because the kernel build hasn't set them up.

And can't use the RPM packages. Plone 3.3.5 requires Python 2.4, but 2.4.2 or later, but doesn't work with 2.5 or later.
Ugh, that stinks. Is there not a later version of Plone that supports the later python? I'll wait to hear back from you and then build the one you think will work best.

Best,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby joseb2010 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:26 pm

If you don't have the include directory then it sounds like you need to run "make defconfig" in /usr/src/linux to prepare the kernel so it sets up the symlinks

I tried "make defconfig" in /usr/src/linux and had a "No such file or directory" error for "/usr/include/bits/socket.h:304:24: asm/socket.h".
So didn't work. Any idea? I have never had problems installing Python or Plone before. Do you think I did something wrong while installing Engarde Linux? I just had to install the kernel-sources using the GDSN and the kernel-headers were already installed.

Ugh, that stinks. Is there not a later version of Plone that supports the later python? I'll wait to hear back from you and then build the one you think will work best.

Plone version 3.3.5. is the latest version available, and doesn't work with Python 2.5 or later... yes, that stinks. :cry:
joseb2010

Postby Dave on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:41 pm

joseb2010 wrote:
If you don't have the include directory then it sounds like you need to run "make defconfig" in /usr/src/linux to prepare the kernel so it sets up the symlinks

I tried "make defconfig" in /usr/src/linux and had a "No such file or directory" error for "/usr/include/bits/socket.h:304:24: asm/socket.h".
So didn't work. Any idea?

Looks like you're missing the glibc-devel package.

Plone version 3.3.5. is the latest version available, and doesn't work with Python 2.5 or later... yes, that stinks. :cry:

Yeah, going to now require a bit more work. I'm open to other ideas...

Best,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby joseb2010 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:37 pm

glibc-devel was installed, so must be something else... Following is the screen with the error after "make defconfig":

joseb2010

Postby Dave on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 pm

joseb2010 wrote:

glibc-devel was installed, so must be something else... Following is the screen with the error after "make defconfig":

That should point to asm-i386, like this:

# cd /usr/src/linux/include
# ln -sf asm-i386 asm

Sorry for the delay in responding. Hopefully this is all you need to get going again.

Best,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Return to General Troubleshooting