named.conf reconfiguration

Discuss general troubleshooting concerns.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

named.conf reconfiguration

Postby internetworks on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 am

Hello,

I want to reconfigure named with a secure approach to it. Will it interfere with the webtool?

Is there any chance that the webtool will reset the configuration so the service can get interrupted until the configuration is rebuilt?

I don't know.. I remember something related to the webtool and resetting custom configurations. Am I wrong?

Thank you.
internetworks

Re: named.conf reconfiguration

Postby Dave on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 am

internetworks wrote:Hello,

I want to reconfigure named with a secure approach to it. Will it interfere with the webtool?

Is there any chance that the webtool will reset the configuration so the service can get interrupted until the configuration is rebuilt?

I don't know.. I remember something related to the webtool and resetting custom configurations. Am I wrong?

Thank you.
It doesn't work by using templates, if that's what you mean, so it won't just copy over what you have done with a replacement boilerplate template. However, if it has difficulty parsing the changes you've made, and not anticipate the format you've used, it may have a hard time and not be able to restart named.

You can of course just try it, and see what happens, saving a backup along the way.

If you have ways to improve the security of the default named configuration, we'd love to hear, and would probably incorporate it into the main version for the next release.

You might also be interested in checking out the DNS security reference here:

http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-b ... plate.html

HTH,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Re: named.conf reconfiguration

Postby internetworks on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your assistance. Yes I was planning to use the secure template but I wasn't sure how changing the configuration will affect webtool.

I reconfigured and got rid of recursive and open dns issues.

If needed I will post the configuration here however I think the secure template is more than helpful.

Thank you.
internetworks

Return to General Troubleshooting