Email Client Setup

Discuss general troubleshooting concerns.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Email Client Setup

Postby Thundar on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi, I have been trying to setup a Engarde Email server this weekend. Most all is happy, but sending mail from the email client (Thunderbird) does not work (unable to connect to server). I am using SPOP3 and am able to receive email from outside sources but unable to send or reply. I am not sure what the SMTP client settings should be. I have allowed my network in the SMTP server config per network IP and tried setting SELinux to permissive (with a relabel). Please advise as to the proper outgoing settings for an email client connecting to an Engarde box. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Thundar

Re: Email Client Setup

Postby Dave on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Thundar wrote:Hi, I have been trying to setup a Engarde Email server this weekend. Most all is happy, but sending mail from the email client (Thunderbird) does not work (unable to connect to server). I am using SPOP3 and am able to receive email from outside sources but unable to send or reply. I am not sure what the SMTP client settings should be. I have allowed my network in the SMTP server config per network IP and tried setting SELinux to permissive (with a relabel). Please advise as to the proper outgoing settings for an email client connecting to an Engarde box. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

The email settings are really going to be dependent upon the DNS and mail server configuration that you defined through the WebTool.

In the simplest form, you should be able to use your hostname as the mail server for Thunderbird. From a remote machine, you can also try "telnet myserver 25" and you should be greeted with the postfix server information. For SPOP, you should make sure you have permitted your IP address to connect through the security settings in the WebTool. You should have an entry for your IP address in /etc/hosts.allow for the spop3 service.

You can also try something like "netstat -tap" from the command-line on the server to make sure the smtp and spop3 services are running.

Regards,
Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Email Client Setup

Postby Thundar on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Hello Dave, Thank you for the info. I should have included more information about my setup. I installed the mail server at the business location and was trying to connect to it from home. It turned out that my ISP (Verizon/Frontier) was blocking port 25 outbound from my home. I ended up sending the SMTP request on a different port (from home) and having the business router translate the selected port to port 25. As you suggested I also added my public IP (Home) to the hosts allow (via the webtool). It is working now.
Next project - installing ClamAv and Spamassassin. Enjoying the distro - keep up the good work.
Thundar

Return to General Troubleshooting