SSH PuttY error 'server refused our key'

Discuss general troubleshooting concerns.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

SSH PuttY error 'server refused our key'

Postby usalabs on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 pm

After following the instructions exactly to the letter on how to set up SSH using PuTTy, and according to this part of the documentation:-

'Next you must log into the Guardian Digital Secure User Manager to generate and download an SSH key

Begin by logging into the Secure User Manager:

https://192.168.10.100:1022/

Note

Guardian Digital WebTool runs on port 1023 and the Guardian Digital Secure User Manager runs on port 1022'

Port 1022 does NOT work, I had to generate the key using the webtool. and after following how to setup PuTTy for SSH, I can get the login console, but when I try to login, the server replies with:-

"Server refused our key", then PuTTy pops up a box with a fatal error:-

Server unexpectedly closed network connection"

There must be easier step-by=step instructions that are proven to work.

The reason I need to login to a console, is,,,,the webtool doesn't show if there are any errors when either starting or re-starting a service after changing settings, the console does. I can't access the server directly, because I set it up without the use of a keyboard or monitor.
usalabs

RE: SSH PuttY error 'server refused our key'

Postby scrumpy on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi usalabs,

Port 1022 does NOT work

1. Make sure the service is turned on :
SERVICES > SERVICE CONFIGURATION > userpass The Guardian Digital Secure User Manager service. Running

2. Enable access to the service :
SYSTEM > ACCESS CONTROL > userpass , ENTER YOUR IP USED FOR ADMINISTRATION

3. Enable a firewall rule :
SYSTEM > FIREWALL CONFIGURATION > FIREWALL RULES :
SOURCE PROTOCOL DESTINATION userpass TCP
Then restart the firewall.

Hopefully that shall enable port 1022 for you.

Get the user configured from port 1022, grab the key and use it to SSH in then once you are in you can su to root.

-S
scrumpy

Re: RE: SSH PuttY error 'server refused our key'

Postby usalabs on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:07 pm

scrumpy wrote:
1. Make sure the service is turned on :
SERVICES > SERVICE CONFIGURATION > userpass The Guardian Digital Secure User Manager service. Running

Yes it is running and I do have access, the terminal screen does show the logon prompt.

2. Enable access to the service :
SYSTEM > ACCESS CONTROL > userpass , ENTER YOUR IP USED FOR ADMINISTRATION

Yes I already did.

3. Enable a firewall rule :
SYSTEM > FIREWALL CONFIGURATION > FIREWALL RULES :
SOURCE PROTOCOL DESTINATION userpass TCP
Then restart the firewall.

Firewall is not installed as I have an external hardware firewall running embedded, busybox Linux utilizing iptables, which is between the WAN and LAN.
Hopefully that shall enable port 1022 for you.

It didn't

Get the user configured from port 1022, grab the key and use it to SSH in then once you are in you can su to root.

eh?

I can get access to the login console but that's as far as I get, when I enter 'root' as the user name, then press enter, that's when the server throws the error at me.
usalabs

Postby scrumpy on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:31 pm

I suggest you re check everything and go through the documentation, you need to get access to port 1022 in order to get into ssh as you download the key to use with putty etc.

I have not yet used the method you have described with the webtool, I have always used the Secure User Manager service to configure the key then turned it off and closed the ports afterwards.

Sorry I cannot be of any more help than sending you around in circles, but I am sure this will be of interest to others.

Just to get the silly question out the way, it is on the same Lan as you isin't it? And, your not somehow blocking yourself connecting from your admin box in any way at all, eg zonealarm or something not picking up on the request properly?
scrumpy

Postby usalabs on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:08 pm

I figured it out, the reason I couldn't login, was because, (and there's nothing in any of the manuals about it, except telling us how to create the user, but not saying that you would need to login using that username), I had to login with the username I created which in turn asked for my passphrass for the key, then after I logged in, I issued 'su' and the root password, then I had to transition to the staff role, but from then on, I couldn't use the sysadmin_r role, but I was able to chmod folders I needed.

Thanks for helping.
PS
I do have another question but that's for another topic.
usalabs

Return to General Troubleshooting