Backups - Can't download them

Discuss general troubleshooting concerns.

Moderators: scrumpy, Dave, leihog

Backups - Can't download them

Postby roint on Tue May 29, 2007 10:47 pm

I've done a system backup with the webTool but I can't download the backup file.

The webTool displays the download box but I end up with a 1 kb file.

Trying to download from a prompt as su using sz doesn't work either. Is this something to do with maximum file size in linux?

Do I need to split the file to download the backup using the webTool?

Thanks for help.

-sperch
roint

RE: Backups - Can't download them

Postby dboland on Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 am

Trying to download from a prompt as su using sz doesn't work either. Is this something to do with maximum file size in linux?

linux doesn't really have a max file size, though there are factors that could make a huge file behave weirdly. By huge i mean a couple 100 mb to well over a GB. I have raw videos on a debian box of mine that reach well over a gig and have never had any problems.
[/quote]
Do I need to split the file to download the backup using the webTool?

How big is the file? it should be locate in /var/BACKUP/ There are a combination of settings and factories that can affect file transferring through http, both with the webserver and the web browser, but this usually only effect uploads.
In any case, when i'm dealing with a file that is bigger then 50mb i prefer to use scp (secure copy). which transfers files over ssh.
To use it you would from your workstation type something like this:
Code: Select all
scp you@host:/var/BACKUP/your_backup.tar.gz .

the trailing . isn't a typo, thats telling it to copy the file to your current directory on your machine. you could also specify another path.
When i ran the command i had to first disable SELinux to get access to the directory, that can be done from the webtool or command line.

First check the file size though of the archive in /var/BACKUP to make sure that the file isn't actual 1kb.

Dan
dboland

Postby roint on Wed May 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at scp.

My complete backup is a 14 GB tar.z file.

I was able to transfer the file with putty sftp.

The problem may be with the version of zmodem on my com program. i've read a few places that could be an issue. But I have no idea why the webTool interface doesn't work.

Now that I got the file onto my windows computer, opening it is another problem. Winzip has a max file size of 4 GB. 7-Zip works.

That leaves me with a tar file that I can't open. It looks like the file was made with star and my DOS tar won't work.

Glad that I'm checking this out now before the crash comes.
roint

Postby dboland on Thu May 31, 2007 9:35 am

14 GB is pretty big file. I would suggest splitting it up somewhat. Are you backing up the entire server? if so maybe split it into sub backups.

You should open a bug on bugs.engardelinux.org and see if something can be done about this.

Dan
dboland

Postby wkeys on Thu May 31, 2007 9:46 am

If you run 7-Zip again on the .tar then it should leave you with a folder which you can open.

~bk
wkeys

Return to General Troubleshooting