fedora-users October 2011 archive
Main Archive Page > Month Archives  > fedora-users archives
fedora-users: Re: F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

Re: F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

From: Craig White <craigwhite_at_nospam>
Date: Tue Oct 11 2011 - 04:21:15 GMT
To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 11:43 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 11:16 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 10/10/2011 11:36 PM, JD wrote:
> >
> >> But that argues against your own argument that
> >> a script will contain bugs. Of course it will - every
> >> software ever written had them, and will have them.
> > yes. so why is replacing one program with bugs with another script with
> > bugs considered a solution? It isn't
> Preupgrade is not a single operation solution. The
> user is expected to know several complex operations
> and execute them in right order.
---- perhaps if you actually ran 'preupgrade' you would discover that you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about. ---- > A yum upgrade script would be a single point solution > that a user could run. If problems, then user could report > the results, along with a log file that a script could leave > behind. That is a very desirable solution for all non-techies > and newbs. ---- again... not a clue what you are talking about. ---- > >> Also, you yourself said that upgrading via yum is > >> a very complex process: > >> > Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least. > >> > >> So, by virtue of that statement itself, non-techies and > >> newbs most certainly need such an expertly written script(s). > > Scripts are not going to magically make things easier. Scripting is far > > more likely to be fragile as well. I didn't say yum upgrades are > > complex. I said upgrades are complex. > That is a very interesting opinion which ignores the fact > that scripts are easier to fix than binaries. > With so many scripts which are running the system, > then by your argument they should all be abandoned > because you opine that they are fragile and thus unreliable > and thus the whole system is unreliable. > Fear of possible bugs is no reason for rejecting a much needed > solution. > > It seems to me that so many people invest so much steam > into their opinion, that they find it hard to back off and admit > that a proposed request for a solution is worth pursuing and > implementing by the experts in the field for the benefit of all. ---- If you actually think you know what you are talking about and have any skill whatsoever, then by all means, have at it. I suppose it doesn't occur to you that your contention is entirely without knowledge or merit. Craig -- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean. -- users mailing list users@lists.fedoraproject.org To unsubscribe or change subscription options: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines