spamassassin-dev September 2011 archive
Main Archive Page > Month Archives  > spamassassin-dev archives
spamassassin-dev: Re: DRAFT TO-DO LIST PMC VOTE - September 30th

Re: DRAFT TO-DO LIST PMC VOTE - September 30th 3.4.0 release candidate

From: Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+sa_at_nospam>
Date: Wed Sep 21 2011 - 12:46:48 GMT
To: dev@spamassassin.apache.org

Kevin wrote:

> - 3.4.0 will be the next release
> - 3.3.x development is ceased barring a major bug and we won't backport
> changes currently in trunk to 3.3

+1

> - Add 3.4 SVN branch and 3.4.0 as a version for Bugzilla
> - Add 3.4.1 as a version for Target Milestone

done.

> - Trunk switches to R-T-C as of today, 9/14 in preparation for the release

In my opinion, delay that until we have most of the pending important
fixes in the trunk.

> - Create a 3.4 branch in SVN based on trunk ASAP (I think there are
> technical hurdles that make waiting until after the release difficult)

Delay creating the 3.4 branch until just shortly before a release,
let's get the remaining fixes first. I doubt anyone will do any 'future
developement' stuff in the near future, so branching now and
fixing issues on two tracks in parallel would be a nuisance.

> - Go through the 715 open bugs and identify the goals to finalize for
> 3.4.0 release

Right. Besides fixing tickets, this triage should be now the first goal.

> - Move all open bugs tagged for 3.3.x to 3.4.0 or 3.4.1 later based on goals

> - Any patches to remove from 3.4.0? I know we have a bug or two with
> rules that are disabled/removed to resolve.

Identify and prioritize these.

> - Open/edit bugs for 3.4.0 that have been discussed but not formalized
> such as the sa-update and ipv6 hurdles

Right, the blockers IMO. The ipv6 for sa-update is now ready (Bug 6654).
The sa-update state transitions to avoid frequent downloads from mirrors
on misconfigured sites should be a priority (Bug 6655).

> - Add a jenkins/hudson build for the 3.4.x branch
> - Add DNS entries and make sure rule updates are ready for 3.4.x branch
> - Goal is to prepare an rc1 for 3.4.0 on or about 9/30 through normal
> procedures, voting, etc. moving toward an eventual release shortly
> thereafter
> - Post-release, trunk and 3.4 branch will be kept in sync perfectly and
> all programmers will write code with zero bugs ;-)
> Anything I missed?

It's not too bad if we miss the target date by a week or two, as long
as we get a ball rolling.

  Mark